In acts of worship that continue beyond the walls of the Chapel, the Duke Chapel community seeks to pray with its hands and feet on Duke’s campus and beyond. In that spirit, the Chapel fosters connections with the wider Durham community by partnering in ministry with local churches and nonprofits, as well as nurturing relationships across social, cultural, and political divisions.
By maintaining a visible presence in the West End and other Durham neighborhoods, the Chapel facilitates interactions between these neighborhoods and the Duke community, and engage with issues of wider community, national, and international concern. We rely on relationships with community partners to accomplish this important work that allows us to be with our neighbors in word and deed.
Students interested in community engagement can get involved in one or more of the Chapel Student Ministries.
We believe the Christian life is an invitation into the redemptive life of the triune God. As participants in God’s life, we are called to embody and witness to Christ’s love in our community and world. We do so through building and deepening our relationships in the community as we work at the intersections of faith and justice to bridge the differences that divide humanity.
If you would like to be involved in another way or have any questions, please contact our community minister.
- Achievement Academy of Durham
- Carolina Peace Center
- Catholic Charities
- Church of Philadelphia
- Coalition for Affordable Housing & Transit
- Community Empowerment Fund
- DCIA (Durham Congregations in Action)
- Duke Community & Family Medicine Division of Community Health
- Duke Office of Durham & Regional Affairs
- Durham CAN (Congregations, Associations, Neighborhoods)
- Durham Clergy Anti-Racism Witness Group
- Families Moving Forward
- First Calvary Baptist Church
- Habitat for Humanity
- HomeShare Durham
- Housing for New Hope
- Interdenominational Ministerial Alliance
- Longball Durham
- North Carolina Council of Churches
- One World Market
- Open Table Ministries
- Partners for Youth Opportunity
- Partners in Caring
- Pregnancy Support Services
- Reality Ministries
- Religious Coalition for a Nonviolent Durham
- Resource Center for Women and Ministry in the South
- Restorative Justice Durham
- Self-Help Credit Union
- Senior PharmAssist
- Society of St. Andrew
- Student Action with Farmworkers
- Union Baptist Church
- Urban Hope
- Urban Ministries
- Village of Wisdom
- Walltown Chilrden's Theatre
- West End Community Foundation, Inc
- World Relief
- Youth Life Foundation of the Triangle
Bridging faith and learning does not stop with graduation—the PathWays Fellowship not only gives recent alumni the tools they need to discern their vocational and spiritual direction, but it also gives them opportunities for exploration, leadership, mentorship, service, and formation deeply rooted in the local community and their Christian traditions.