Duke Chapel, like the university it serves, was founded on faith and philanthropy. Every stone, every fragment of stained glass, every inch of gracefully carved wood bears the mark of a generous benefactor and stands as a testament to people of faith and vision.
Friends of Duke Chapel receive:
- A copy of the Duke Chapel Annual Report
- A full-color, twelve-month academic year calendar of Chapel events
- A subscription to Chapel View magazine, published and mailed three times per year
- An invitation, with the purchase of tickets to the annual performance of Handel’s Messiah, to a special luncheon preceding the Saturday performance; reserved seating and parking are included in the ticket price
- Occasional invitations to special events throughout the year
How You Can Become a Friend of Duke Chapel
All contributors to the Chapel’s funds and endowments ($100 or more) are recognized as Friends of Duke Chapel. Friends' gifts ensure that Duke Chapel remains one of the most active university chapels in the country. Your support and generosity are greatly appreciated. Your gift to Duke Chapel will:
- Support Christian worship on Sundays and during the week in a diverse group of services
- Support student engagement through the PathWays Fellowship, Chapel Scholars, Religious Life at Duke, and our Living Learning Community Eruditio et Religio
- Support our creative expression of faith through sacred music and the arts
- Support our presence in the Durham community through a ministry of service and hope
The Friends of Duke Chapel organization was formed in 1974 to provide a direct tie between those interested in the Chapel and its programs and services. Through the years, Friends elected officers, formed committees, hosted events, and gladly shared their gifts and talents. Their commitment offered a sense of belonging to the Duke Chapel community. Some of the initiatives supported by the Friends of Duke Chapel include:
- Assisting in the construction of handicap-accessible entrances to the Chapel
- Creating a Chapel lounge for family members during weddings and funerals
- Supporting weekly radio broadcasts of Sunday worship
- Assisting with the design and implementation of the Chapel’s sound system
- Purchasing music, robes, hymnals, and platform risers
- Paying musicians and artists to perform in Chapel services and programs.
Today, the Friends of Duke Chapel continues as a Giving Society and welcomes new donors each year. The annual report, Chapel View magazine, and the Chapel calendar are three ways the Chapel keeps Friends engaged with our day to day work and invites their participation in our mission.
To join this vibrant community, please make your qualifying gift and add your name and email address to our electronic newsletter list.
Please note that for Duke Alumni, unrestricted annual gifts to the Chapel are counted in the Duke Annual Fund.